DAVE GIBBON'S JOURNALS ON-SET

"On the movie backlot, like a sailor on shore leave, I gawp in wonder at a New York City that never really was." = so writes Dave Gibbons, illustrator for the Watchmen comicbooks, visiting the set of the live-action feature film - here are some "mirrored-lines" (a veiled term of "swiped-cut'n'paste" - yes i am a bad-blog-man :p) which provides a intriguing narrative to what we can expect from the movie, for both characters and locales ... and personally, it sounds uber-cool, IMHO :)

From Journal-Entry PART ONE:

"There they are, in a shadowy clubhouse, standing around a map of the USA ... The smoke of the Comedian's cigar hangs in the air as I drink in the details of the scene. Framed old copies of The New York Gazette tell stories of past exploits; trophies glint in glass-fronted display cases; Moloch's solar weapon shines in a dusty corner and over there, on its mannequin stand, the faded costume of the original Nite Owl keeps silent vigil.

Then, a sudden flash of unearthly blue light announces the arrival of Dr. Manhattan and the tableau comes to life. The voices of quarreling heroes rise and fall, a Zippo flares and the map catches fire."


"And I'm standing amongst them. Nite Owl shakes my hand. The Comedian slaps me on the back. Silk Spectre smiles a dazzling greeting. I'm overwhelmed by the depth and detail of what I'm seeing."

From Journal-Entry PART TWO:

"Rain's falling hard now and I'm led inside, through a grubby little hovel crammed with dressmaking dummies, past the huge halls of Karnak, into Dan Dreiberg's homely brownstone and down to where the Owl Ship sits. I clamber aboard in giddy delight."

"... I watch footage of Rorschach pulling Nite Owl off a bloodied Knot Top; I flip through an issue of the Black Freighter; on a laptop, I see raw CGI blocking for the Vietnam sequence; I hold a smiley face pin splattered with what looks like real human bean juice..."

and dammit, that face-pin will be THE must-have accessory come June 2009, IMHO :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Time to update! ;)
New cast photos are up at the Watchmen official site
toysrevil said…
cheers, TSR!

dude - i didn't even know anybody read this blog at all LOL :p
PP-TRE-BANNER

Popular Posts